A mere rat has saved a woman and her kids from what would have been an unbelievably tragic death for them.

Maggie Mokwena. Photo by Godfrey Pandeka
A woman identified as Maggie Mokwena is currently giving thanks to God for escaping tragic death along with her two kids.

She revealed that a rat saved their lives.

According to Daily Sun SA, the woman’s home of four years was destroyed in a mysterious fire in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Speaking about the sad incident, the 27-year-old single mum from Ga-Moretsele Village, outside Jane Furse in Limpopo, South Africa, said she was sleeping when she felt a rat on her face.

When she woke up, she realised it had jumped down from a wardrobe that was on fire.

“That’s what saved me and my children, because we were all fast asleep when my shack caught fire,” she said.

“I always complained about rats in my shack but the Messiah rat saved me from death.

“I am grateful no one was injured or killed but I am devastated as the fire ate everything I owned. It will take me years to recover from this loss.”
She and her kids, Kagiso, 9, and Prudence, 5, were left with no clothes, no food and nowhere to sleep.

They had to seek shelter at neighbours’ houses as they wait for someone to help them rebuild their lives.

“I am not working, which is why I couldn’t afford to live in a proper house. Now our lives will be even worse,” said Maggie.

Neighbour Robin Mashegwane, 45, said: “We tried to help but the fire was too strong. We didn’t have enough water to put it out as we have to fetch water from a nearby river.”

Councillor Peter Rankwe said he was aware of the situation. “We will intervene to help the family.”

Advertisements